BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS With SHERRY & SHIITAKE
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs (about 8 to 10 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or as needed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or as needed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups red onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 beef broth, divided (or as needed)
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/2 cup cold water)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Season short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides; set aside. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil and butter. When hot, place short ribs until caramelized on all sides. Transfer on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot, add onion, reduce heat to medium and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add shiitake mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent from burning. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in flour to coat ingredients. Pour in beef broth and cooking sherry; scrap any bits at the bottom. Stir in tomato paste, rosemary, balsamic vinegar and cayenne.
- Bring it back to a simmer on medium-high. Place short ribs back and pour more broth over enough to cover meat. Cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Braise for 2 hours or until ribs are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat and transfer short ribs on a plate while working on sauce.
- Put heat on medium and skim off fat on the surface. When simmering, pour in cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens, less than a minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Place short ribs over mashed potato, ladle sauce over and sprinkle fresh parsley on top. Makes 4 servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
clubfoody.com is about combining fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. This is a fun destination for foodies who love new recipes complete with videos and kitchen tips.