French Influenced Braised Beef Short Ribs
photo by Lavender Lynn
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 4 -5 lbs beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbs.oil in large dutch oven or braiser over medium high heat, add short ribs and brown as evenly as possible. Do in batches.
- Remove ribs and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and cook until tender.
- Add tomato paste, beef broth, red wine and cook, stirring, until incorporated, add ribs and bay leaves, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat for 3 - 3 1/2 hours or until meat easily falls off the bone.
- Remove from heat and let sit for about 15 minutes for fat to rise to the top, skim off any fat with a ladle. If sauce isn't thick enough remove ribs and add water/cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil, stir to thicken.
- Serve ribs over egg noodles and top with sauce.
- Garnish with scallions. (optional).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!