Braised Beef Short Ribs With a Bordelaise Sauce
photo by bwigstrom
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 4 beef short ribs
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine, Edmeades Zinfandel preferred
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 quarts beef stock
- Heat large saute pan until smokey hot. Season both sides of ribs with salt and pepper, I use fresh ground pepper and sea salt. In 1 tbsp of olive oil, sear ribs on both sides for 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a large casserole dish. On medium heat, saute all vegetables, thyme and peppercorns for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir until well combined, no lumps. Deglaze with red wine and let reduce for 5 minutes. Add beef stock and bring to a boil. Pour all sauce over the ribs, cover and braise in the oven at 325 for 3 hours.
- When finished, remove ribs and keep warm. Strain the vegetables from the sauce, reserving 3/4 cup, and return to the stove on medium high heat. Combine cold water and flour in equal parts, whisk into reserved sauce, then whisk this into the remaining sauce to slightly thicken. When done, plate the ribs and ladle sauce onto the ribs. I served this with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed baby carrots.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!