1 hr 30 mins
Fashioned after Charlie Vergos' famous ribs—grilled over charcoal, mopped with vinegar sauce, and coated with a dry rub just before serving. Nearly impossible to duplicate these famous ribs at home because Vergos cooks them in a one-of-a kind pit and the rub recipe is a closely guarded secret. Here is Mr. Raichlen’s take on my favorite ribs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Memphis Dry Rub
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1You will need a barbecue mop.
- 2Make the rub: add the rub ingredients to a bowl; stir to mix.
- 3Store rub in an airtight container away from heat and light; will keep for 6 months.
- 4Make the mop sauce—add the vinegar, salt, and rub in a bowl; add 1 cup water; whisk until the salt dissolves; set aside.
- 5Remove the thin, papery membrane from the back of each rack of ribs.
- 6Generously season the ribs all over with salt and pepper.
- 7Set up grill for direct grilling (charcoal is more accurate); preheat to medium.
- 8When ready to cook, brush the grill grate, place the ribs on the hot grate, bone side down, and grill until that side is sizzling and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- 9Turn the ribs and grill meat side down until that side is sizzling and golden brown, about 25 minutes longer.
- 10When fully cooked, the ribs will be nicely browned and tender enough to pull apart with your fingers.
- 11The dripping fat may cause flare-ups; if this happens, move the ribs to another spot on the grate.
- 12Transfer the grilled ribs to a platter or cutting board.
- 13Generously brush or mop the ribs on both sides with the mop sauce.
- 14Thickly sprinkle the meat side with the remaining rub to form a crust.
- 15You can use all or the rub or just a part, depending on your fondness for spice.
- 16Mr. Raichlen likes a crust about 1/8 inch thick; serve the ribs as whole racks, cut the racks in pieces, or carve them into individual ribs and serve any remaining rub on the side.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Memphis Dry Rub Ribs (Steven Raichlen)
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.6
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1776.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry rub seasonings