Recipe by Nat!
A spicy, tasty and refreshing summer soup for garlic-lovers.
Top Review by blakesle
Nice and spicy.. I added red pepper flakes instead of tabasco.. Instead of having pasta as a side to accompnay I added 1 cup of cooked orzo to the soup. It added bulk. Parmesan sprinkled on top added to the flavour. A good soup to make if you have tomato or vegetable juice on hand...and of coure LOTS of garlic. Catherine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato juice or 1 cup vegetable cocktail
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1⁄4 red onion
- 10 cloves fresh garlic, halved
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil (I use sunflower)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 -3 teaspoons vinegar (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- sea salt
- Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee onions and 10 cloves of halved garlic in a saucepan with a pinch of sea salt and a teaspoon of oil until golden.
- Combine in a blender with tomatoes and puree.
- In a large pot, bring 3 cups of broth and 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add contents of blender, and tomato juice and bring to a boil again.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add rosemary, basil, and crushed garlic.
- Add vinegar only if the soup is not acidic already.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes until desireable thickness is reached.
- Add tabasco, pepper and/or sea salt to taste.
- Serve with rice or small pasta noodles.
- Tastes even better the next day!