Recipe by dianegrapegrower
Another light, easy dinner for a hot summer evening. Nice with garlic bread or toasted pita chips and hummus.
Top Review by Helping Hands
This incredibly healthy, light, main-dish dinner salad was wonderful! It was easy to make, had the added bonus of having healthy protien in it, and was loaded with good-for-you ingredients! It appealed to me intitally because it looked easy to make; unique; light rather than heavy; and because of its Mediterranean ingredients - I have always heard that a Mediterranean-style diet is one of the healthiest ways to eat. After eating it, I was most impressed with its flavor, the fact that it left me feeling full and satisfied, despite its lightness, and its well-balanced ingrediants -I knew I had just eaten a very healthy and well-balalanced meal. Adding the avacado was a a very nice touch! My husband also loved this salad! This salad lends itself to I playing with it, and trying other proteins with it, instead of the shrimp, such as turkey, chicken, or lean ham. But, just as is, it was fabulous! I followed the instructions exactly and the only thing I would do differently next time would be to use a Grrek Dressing with a little bit more of a kick (the one I used was a bit bland); add even more red pepper flakes to the shrimp, as I sauteed it; and throw in some onion, sliced in rings. Other than that, it was perfect!
- 1 lb large unpeeled shrimp (smaller is fine too)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 6 cups lettuce, torn, romaine is especially nice
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 green onions
- 1 avocado, diced (may not be authentic, but delicious)
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Greek salad dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw shrimp, shell and remove tails. Heat oil in skillet, add garlic and hot pepper flakes. Saute shrimp until opaque. Set aside in serving bowl.
- Combine all salad ingredients. Toss with dressing (use purchased dressing, or try one of many excellent 'Zaar choices). Serve immediately, topping with shrimp.
- You may want to reduce the amount of dressing used, or put less salt in if making from scratch - the olives and feta add saltiness.
- Grilled shrimp are very nice.