Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Another light, easy dinner for a hot summer evening. Nice with garlic bread or toasted pita chips and hummus.
- 1 lb large unpeeled shrimp (smaller is fine too)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 6 cups lettuce, torn, romaine is especially nice
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 green onions
- 1 avocado, diced (may not be authentic, but delicious)
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Greek salad dressing
- Thaw shrimp, shell and remove tails. Heat oil in skillet, add garlic and hot pepper flakes. Saute shrimp until opaque. Set aside in serving bowl.
- Combine all salad ingredients. Toss with dressing (use purchased dressing, or try one of many excellent 'Zaar choices). Serve immediately, topping with shrimp.
- You may want to reduce the amount of dressing used, or put less salt in if making from scratch - the olives and feta add saltiness.
- Grilled shrimp are very nice.
This incredibly healthy, light, main-dish dinner salad was wonderful! It was easy to make, had the added bonus of having healthy protien in it, and was loaded with good-for-you ingredients! It appealed to me intitally because it looked easy to make; unique; light rather than heavy; and because of its Mediterranean ingredients - I have always heard that a Mediterranean-style diet is one of the healthiest ways to eat. After eating it, I was most impressed with its flavor, the fact that it left me feeling full and satisfied, despite its lightness, and its well-balanced ingrediants -I knew I had just eaten a very healthy and well-balalanced meal. Adding the avacado was a a very nice touch! My husband also loved this salad! This salad lends itself to I playing with it, and trying other proteins with it, instead of the shrimp, such as turkey, chicken, or lean ham. But, just as is, it was fabulous! I followed the instructions exactly and the only thing I would do differently next time would be to use a Grrek Dressing with a little bit more of a kick (the one I used was a bit bland); add even more red pepper flakes to the shrimp, as I sauteed it; and throw in some onion, sliced in rings. Other than that, it was perfect!
Great salad! I loved all of the ingredients. IMO, the key to the salad is a good salad dressing.
Excellent salad! Perfect for a easy summer meal. The salad itself is delicious and would be fine on its own, but adding the shrimp sends it right over the top. Will add to our regular rotation. Thanks for sharing!