Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great side-dish for your next bar-b-que or potluck. Courtesy of Lyn Michaud
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped kalamata olive
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoons salt and the rice. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, pepper, pepper flakes, and remaining tsp salt.
- Add rice to dressing and toss to combine. Add spinach, toss, and let sit until no longer steaming, about 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and toos to combine. Serve at room temperature or cold.
I served this chilled and it worked really well with the flavors developing. I also used brown rice because it is what I keep in the house and like Evelyn I went for dried oregano. Made for ZWT4.
This was excellent and very tangy! The fresh oregano is a nice touch. We used brown rice, half the cheese, just a tablespoon of the oil and a mix of Kalamata and Manzanilla olives (which were great in it). I omitted the salt and had to leave out the spinach, since it was all finished at the last minute - but honestly I don't think it needed it. The two of us easily at this as a meal, but I think it would be great as a picnic side dish.
Good salad definitely! I found the cooking time on the rice didn't match my stove, but no mind, next time will cook rice as I usually do. I also think next time I will slice the spinach or tear it into pieces. I'm keeping this one though. Thanks for your recipe!!!