Recipe by Engrossed
Inspired by RSC#11 ingredients. If you enjoy Mediterranean flavors, you'll enjoy this. Vegetarian.
Top Review by AB_Fan
We liked this, but found it to be a bit salty for our tastes. Next time I will add less olives and half the artichokes, and maybe cut back on the cheese too. I should have added more liquid, too, because some of the rice didn't cook all the way through -- but that could be because the cooking vessel wasn't sealed tightly enough. (I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven and its cover instead of two layers of foil.) Other than being a bit salty, the flavors were wonderful and meld well together. Made for ZWT4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup baby bellas)
- 1⁄2 cup dried sun-dried tomato, chopped kitchen shears work good (about 1.5oz)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, drained and sliced (about 2oz) (optional)
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning or 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more to taste (optional)
- 1 cup asiago cheese, shredded (about 1.5oz)
- 2 cups spinach, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced or 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 key limes, juice and zest of
- crumbled feta cheese, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and saute for about 3 minutes until they start to brown.
- Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add rice and stir-fry until it browns about 10 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and artichoke hearts into rice and pour into an 8x8 baking dish.
- Heat water, bouillon, seasoning and peppers until boiling. Immediately pour over rice.
- Cover baking dish tightly with 2 layers of foil.
- Bake for 75 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Stir in asiago, spinach, parsley, basil, lime juice and zest. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and let sit 5 more minutes before serving.
- Top with crumbled feta to serve, if desired.