Kittencal's Oven-Baked Brown Rice
photo by Marianne5
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (heat until very hot) or 5 cups water (heat until very hot)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Set oven to second-lowest rack (or middle rack).
- Grease a Dutch oven (use one that has a tight-fitting lid).
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter in the Dutch oven over medium heat; add in brown rice, onion, garlic and coarse black pepper and cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Add in broth and seasoned salt; bring just to a boil stirring with a spoon; remove from heat then carefully transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with a lid or foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- Fluff with a fork.
- **NOTE** to make omitting the onion and garlic; place the rice in a casserole dish with the salt.
- On top of the stove heat the broth or water with butter or oil until very hot, then pour over the rice; mix with a spoon.
- Cover with foil or a lid and bake for about 1 hour or until desired texture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 6 more reviews