Recipe by Rita~
Use as a side or a garnish for martinis. These canned beans are flavored with lemon, gin, juniper berries, and garlic.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 16 cups green beans, washed, trimmed and sliced and boiled for 5 minutes
- 2 onions, 4-6 cups sliced
- 4 -8 garlic cloves
- 4 chili peppers
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 8 juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 8 lemon peel strips
- 1 cup gin
Directions See How It's Made
- Sterilize 4 quart canning jars and lids in boiling water.
- In a large pot combine the water, salt with the vinegar, sugar, bring to boil the lower to a simmer. Add Onions and beans, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mean while to each jar add 2 garlic cloves,1 chili pepper, 1 bay leaves, 1/4 of the mustard seeds, 1/4 of the peppercorns, 12 juniper berries, 1/4 of dill weed, dill seed and 2 strips of zest. Pour 1/4 cup gin into each jar.
- Pack the beans and onions into the jars. Topping with the liquid to 1/4 inch head space.
- Using a chop stick remove any air bubbles from the beans. Wipe tops and place immediately sterilized lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Seal, and boil in a hot water bath for 10 minutes Store in a dark, cool place.
- Label and place in a dark place for 2-3 weeks.
- Serve chilled.