Recipe by Claire De Lune
From: Boschendal Wine Estate Restaurant, Cape Province, South Africa. It is actually a delicious cake but rich!! Very simple to make.
Top Review by SumiWatters
Great recipe. My husband is South African so he loves it! And so do our new English friends. Try this for a pudding with a kick. Instead of the hot water in the sauce, add a bit of Baily's or Amarula. Very nice.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream (not whipped)
- 6 ounces butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg and sugar well in a mixer. Add the jam,
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the butter add the vinegar and milk.
- Add liquids to egg mixture alternately with the flour. Beat well .
- Bake in a COVERED dish such as Corel at 350F for 45 minute to 1 hour. It is important to use a covered dish otherwise the sauce won't soak into cake.
- Melt together the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the pudding as it comes out of the oven.
- You will not beleive the taste! I never add whipping cream or Cool whip as it is quite rich the way it is.