Recipe by Dream Acres
Took Cabbage and Beef Soup and made it low sodium for my family and here are the results! It was delicious and NO one reach for the salt shaker! Can be halved if you don't need a lot. I canned the leftovers in glass jars and have been using for last minute dinners. Add hot bread and it's a hit. And my husband says he doesn't like cabbage...this changed his mind :)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 32 ounces kidney beans, undrained
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 48 ounces diced tomatoes (keep liquid)
- 32 ounces beef broth (low or no salt added)
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In large pot or dutch oven, brown beef and onion.
- 2. Add all ingredients except parsley.
- 3. Bring to boil.
- 4. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occassionaly to prevent sticking.
- 5. You may add water if you want soup thinner if beef flavor is too strong.
- 6. Ladle in bowl, garnish with parsley to serve.
- 7. This can also be made in a crockpot by halving the recipe.