Cabbage & Corned Beef Soup
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion (medium diced)
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (cut into egg noodle sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves diced garlic (diced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (just cut or dice into small pieces)
- 1 (32 ounce) box beef stock
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy, stock sized (4-6 qt) pot (enamled cast iron works well) over medium head, heat olive oil, then add onions. Sautee onions until almost tender (3-5 minutes).
- Add cabbage, sautee with onions, stirring frequently, 10 minutes until onions and cabbage are tender.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, sautee 1 minute longer.
- Add corned beef, tomato paste, and beef stock.
- Stir until tomato paste is dissolved, heat over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
First the Picture doesn't look like the end result. I will make this soup again, but these are the changes I would make next time. I would cut all the stock in half, and use Chicken stock or a good veg. stock instead of Beef Stock. and then use water to make up the difference. Beef stock hides the flavor of the corned beef. Then I would cut all the spices in half and then add to taste. I would omit the tomato past all together