Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious treat!
Angel food cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (12)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 12 ounces fat-free cool whip
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups strawberries
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix powdered sugar and flour; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer until foamy.
- Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar.
- Continue beating until stiff meringue forms.
- Sprinkle sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until sugar-flour mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased food cake pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. This is a Betty Crocker recipe for angel food cake, you can use the boxed mix as well.
- Add cubed angel food cake in cream cheese mixture and stir until well coated.
- Put the mixture in a 9x12-inch cake pan and cover with sliced fresh strawberries.
Delicious!! Everyone just raved over this dessert and asked for the recipe. I whipped the cream cheese in the mixer first, added the sugar, stirred in the cool whip in by hand then added it to the cake. If you are in a hurry to make this buy a store made cake and the time to make this will be cut in half. But then you would not get the freshen of your own homemade cake. I'll be making this one again. Thanks for a great recipe. Made for Pick A Chef 2006 (Sorry this review is a little late)