Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
South Beach and Atkins friendly, these mushrooms are missing the typical breadcrumb ingredient but they're so good you won't even notice! Makes a great appetizer, a side dish to meat or fish or even as a main dish served with a salad.
- 12 ounces fresh stuffing mushrooms (I use white or baby bella)
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika, for topping
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise (use no sugar mayo if available)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated,for topping
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Rinse and drain crabmeat; combine crab in a medium bowl with onions, oregano, thyme and pepper.
- Add mayonnaise and 1/4 cup of cheese and mix well; chill in refrigerator until you're ready to stuff mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean, dry and stem mushrooms; discard stems.
- Scoop out and discard gills.
- Fill mushrooms with the crabmeat mixture.
- Brush olive oil on mushroom caps; place stuffed caps on a cookie sheet, jelly roll pan or shallow baking dish lined with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp cheese and paprika; bake for 15 minutes and serve.
This was easy and good. I used the suffing to fill a couple of portabello mushrooms for dinner and baked them for 25 minutes. Next time I might saute some celery and red pepper and add that to the stuffing.
Simple and delicious - a great combination. I loved this and will make it often. I did add some garlic, but that is a personal preference - this would be fine even without it.