Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We use to have this all the time at a favorite restaurant till I made my own up. YUM! I usually double this for when we are having a large group to visit.
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 5 baked potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cooked crumbled bacon (I cheat sometimes and use the REAL bacon pieces in the bag)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- diced green onion
- grated cheddar cheese
- crumbled bacon
- sour cream
- Peel and cut the baked potatoes into medium sized chunks. (This can be done a day in advance to save time).
- Place butter and onions in a large pot.
- Cook till onions are semi-clear.
- Reserve 2 cups of milk and pour the rest in the pot with the onions.
- Warm milk and while it is heating mix remaining milk with the flour, whisking till smooth.
- Whisk the milk/flour mixture into the heated milk, continuing to whisk till well blended and smooth (minus the onions of course).
- When milk has thickened add the potatoes, bacon, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Finally mix in the sour cream just till melted inches.
- Garnish as desired.
- Cook time does not include time to bake potatoes.
My husband and I love this recipe. It is definitely a keeper!!
This was an excellent soup. I used 1 quart of whole milk and 1 quart half and half and it was very, very creamy. Got lots of YUMS.....
Very good and easy. This was thick and rich, perfect for a cold, rainy fall evening.