1 hr 10 mins
Found this in our local newspaper years ago. It is said to be the clone of the Restaurant Cucina Cucina. A family favorite. I make it with spicy bulk Italian chicken sausage, as the lentils really off-set the spiciness of the sausage. I use only 2 teaspoons of the mustard, but 2 1/2 tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage (bulk and spicy)
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup leek, diced
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream (heavy or whipping)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or less)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or more)
- 1 (14 ounce) can spinach, well drained
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese, to top when serving
- 1Brown bulk, chicken Italian sausage in olive oil and butter in soup pot. Stirring to encourage the meat to be as fine as possible. When brown, remove sausage with slotted spoon, set aside. Reserving juices in the soup pot.
- 2To the juices in the soup pot, add diced carrots, onions, celery and leeks. Cook over medium high heat until tender, adding more butter if needed.
- 3Add lentils and broth. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally to prevent lentils from sticking. When this comes to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
- 4When lentils are tender, add sausage back to vegetables in the pot. Add cream, mustard, vinegar and spinach.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Return soup to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Soup With Italian Sausage, Copycat , Cucina Cucina
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.8
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 774.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian chicken sausage