Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
photo by esteban
- Ready In:
- 1hr 23mins
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups water
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Add the first 5 ingredients to a large pot; cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the lentils and veggies are tender.
- Take pot from stove burner and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the oil; warm over low heat until the oil is hot but not smoking.
- Add in the cumin, turmeric, and salt; cook and stir constantly for for 2-3 minutes or until the cumin has released its fragrance (be careful not to scorch the spices).
- Set spice mixture aside for 1 minute to cool.
- Stir spice mixture into the lentil mixture; add cilantro, stir to combine.
- You can puree the soup, in batches, in a blender OR you can use an immersion blender and blend to desired texture (I like to leave it a little chunky).
- Add in lemon juice; stir to combine.
- Rewarm soup in soup pot; season if needed with salt/pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was excellent, I just got done with my second bowl and I'm full but I want to keep eating! I made a few changes, I sauteed the onion and garlic before adding the vegetable broth (i also chopped the garlic). I did what others said and added another teaspoon of Cumin. I added a little more potato which I mashed by hand inside the pot (no need to puree) The result was very thick soup just how I like it - adding a little more cilantro won't hurt either. This was my first experience with red lentils and I must say that I'm impressed - thanks for posting
I made this recipe for the first time yesterday. Lovely, filling soup. Lucky enough to have a pressure cooker for the first five ingredients (added one large chopped carrot as well/ broth made with my own vegetable concentrate), cooked for 6 minutes in the pressure cooker but I did brown the onions and garlic first as suggested.<br/>All in all a wonderful result and liked by all the family. A favourite lentil/vegetarian recipe from now on!
Excellent soup! I didn't have tumeric and added 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin instead. It could have used 3 teaspoons cumin and all of the tumeric as far as I was concerned. I kept the garlic cloves whole and added 1 can diced tomatoes and some carrots to get some vitamins A and C in there. Omitted the cilantro as it was expensive and not my BF's favorite herb either. Looking forward to eating the leftovers for lunch. Thanks a bunch for posting :)