Curried Red Lentil Soup
photo by karen
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder (depending on your taste)
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 cup red lentil, rinsed & picked over
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & diced (or sliced)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (I use a salt- free seasoning blend)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion & garlic and saute until onion is soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add curry powder and stir fry 30 seconds to blend.
- Add stock, potatoes, lentils, carrots and bay leaf. Cover, and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Season with salt to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this soup. It has a ton of flavor and is a great way to get more veggies into your diet. I used Recipe #214220 (veggie stock version) and cut the recipe in half, following it closely except for leaving the garlic and curry at the stated amounts since I love both. I tried the soup just after it came out of the pot, but decided to try lightly blending it in my mini-food processor. The blended version has the texture of split pea soup and every flavor was in every spoonful. I would definitely recommend blending the soup if you like thick creamy style soup over minestrone style ones.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/alligirl65/thesnowmorning-3-1-1.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/Masked-reveller-at-Carniv-0.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/vegetabel_soup_banner-1-1.jpg?t=1263826088 alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/diabeticparty.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /></p>