Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is great on a cool fall evening with some crusty bread and a glass of wine!
Make and share this Lentil and Macaroni Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 3⁄4 cup macaroni, dry
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and garlic and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, broth, lentils, salt, pepper, thyme, and 6 c water.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in chard and macaroni, heat to boiling over med-high heat. Reduce to medium and cook uncovered 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in basil.
I loved this soup as I could put lots of homegrown things into it - basil, tomatoes and swiss chard ! They were all in the freezer, having been picked over the summer. The soup was delicious and I loved the use of the lentils. I topped it with cheese and it made a perfect winter lunch. Made for ZWT8.
Ideal soup for tonight, didn't take long to cook and made a nice big pot full to satisfy at least 4, with some leftovers. Very minestrone like, I like the lentil/macaroni combo. I was feeling too lazy to go and pick fresh basil so I used some dried, and I added some bay leaves...I think the only thing I'd do next time is add more garlic. Thanks SV!
A rustic and easy recipe for colder days. I used a been mix (see photo of myself) istead of lentils and I renounced to macaroni, beacuse after Christmas it's better to reduce my carbs again.
Really very filling and tasty. Thanks for posting this recipe!