Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I like different types of risotto's, and this one with crab, how can that be bad? "O, The Oprah Magazine, 08/04."
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed real fine
- 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh leaf thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Place crabmeat in a medium bowl; pick through for any shells and discard. Add garlic and toss very well. Refrigerate, for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; reduce to simmer. Add lemon juice and keep warm on back burner.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- When just smoking, add shallots and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until lightly golden and tender.
- Add rice and stir 1 minute to coat.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking until almost all liquid is absorbed, and then add another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Repeat until rice is tender and almost all broth has been used, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add crab; stir until blended.
- Add 1/4 cup broth, remaining tablespoon olive oil. lemon zest, thyme and toasted almond slivers; stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a nice salad of sliced tomatoes with a nice vinagrette, and white wine.
Beautiful in its simplicity - I used Blue Swimmer crabs freshly caughter and steamed in salt water - and garniched with shredded lemon basil and a wedge of butter - exquisite and fresh!!