Recipe by Meg Sweetland Baker
Super-easy, goes great with coffee.
Top Review by Janecooksswell
This is a really good lemon bread. I had bought a bag of lemons specifically to make a lemon bread, so I adapted the recipe by adding 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice in place of 1/2 cup of the milk. I also then decreased the amount of lemon extract to 1 tsp. On a side note, I'm not a fan of almond extract, so I omitted it without sacrificing taste (I think). The bread came out beautifully and had great lemon flavor. I'm making another batch (to use up those lemons!) and will try adding some zest as well. **Don't be alarmed (like I was) by the thinness of the batter - the bread will come out just fine.**
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄8 cups olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, milk, oil, poppy seeds, and extracts.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add this to the egg mixture.
- Mix together 1-2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Pour batter into 2 greased bread pans.
- Bake 1 hour at 350°F.
- Just before it's done, make the glaze. Mix powdered sugar, orange juice and extracts.
- Remove loaves from oven.
- Pour glaze over loaves while still in the pans.
- Cool for 30 minutes, remove from pans and cool on racks.