My Mom's Poppy Seed Bread
photo by SunshineKelly
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Blend dry ingredients with milk and oil, beat eggs in thoroughly and add flavorings.
- Pour into 2 greased bread loaf pans. Make sure pans are greased to prevent sticking or even better, use a non-stick pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Test with toothpick.
- Meanwhile, melt butter, add juice, sugar, vanilla and almond extract.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remain warm.
- When bread is done, drag a knife around edges of your pan, poke holes with a fork in random pattern.
- Drizzle glaze over and in cake.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Wrap in Saran Wrap.
- Refrigerate or freeze.
- Could also make muffins or smaller loaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
for some of you frustrated reviewere: There are a few necessary steps that you must go through before you put your ingredients together and put the item in the oven:<br/> 1. read the recipe<br/> 2. read the reviews to see if you need to modify anything<br/> 3. read the recipe again after you have made any modifications<br/> 4. get all utensils and ingredients together into one place<br/> 5. READ THE RECIPE<br/><br/><br/>This rece=ipe needed no modifications, It turned out fine as written. I've been making this bread for years and have never tired of it.
It was delicious! The O.J., butter, vanilla, and almond made a light and sweet flavored glaze. It was very yummy! I made a loaf with and one without the glaze (for my dieting friends.) Both were great! Wonderful little treat to make for friends anytime! Very easy to make, mix everything together, throw it in the oven and come back a hour later, and Perfecto!
I am so irritated! Why on earth does this recipe call for ungreased pans? Like the first reviewer, my loaves tore in half when I tried to remove them. Grease your pans and grease them well! The taste, texture and appearance of this recipe are excellent, but I can only give 4 stars due to the directions. By the way, there was enough bread batter for 4 small loaves and 24 mini muffins.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Omaha NE and am an audiologist at Boys Town National Research Hospital. I love to cook, as does my husband Michael. In the summer, we have a large garden and try to use alot of fresh fruits/veggies in our cooking. We have a 5 year old daughter, Kate and almost 2 year old son Sam and enjoy introducing them to new foods. One of their favorites is fresh pesto smeared on crackers!