Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These breakfast muffins are perfect with your morning cuppa. The oatmeal makes them tender, but with a unique, nubby texture. A delicious way to eat your grains.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I usually omit the lemon juice or peel since my son doesn't like lemon. Instead, I add 1 teaspoon of)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup oats
- Heat oven to 400 degrees .
- Line 12 muffin cups with baking cups or lightly grease bottoms only.
- Mix streusel and set aside(I pulse the topping in a mini food processor. I like how the topping comes out this way).
- Muffin: Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add liquids and mix just until dry ingredients are moist.
- Fill muffin cups.
- Sprinkle streusel over muffins and pat gently.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Note: I made 10 muffins since I fill the pan to the top!
Fantastic oatmeal muffin recipe. I doubled the recipe and used a whole lemon (juice zest) and the lemon taste is perfect. As I didn't have poppyseeds on hand, I omitted those and added frozen blueberries. I would definately make these again as they're perfect for a healthy breakfast.
These are a good hearty breakfast muffin, which is what I was looking for. I used soy milk and soy butter because of DS allergies, and it worked. I added 1 1/2 T of lemon juice and 1 T of lemon extract, but I think next time I will go to 2 T of juice and 1 1/2 T of extract because I want the lemony goodness. =) I might put the oats into the processor briefly and sub with applesauce next time. And yes, There will be a next time. Thank you for sharing.
These were really good with a few tweaks. Used half white whole wheat and half white flour. Subbed applesauce for the oil, doubled the lemon juice & zest, and skipped the topping. This got 2 thumbs up from the kids and I really enjoyed them too. I'll be freezing them for the morning rush hour in my kitchen. Thanks for sharing!