Vegan Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins
These are truly delectable muffins. They have a very light texture, crunchiness from the poppy seeds and a heavenly lemon-maple flavor. Wonderful for breakfast; try with apple butter or strawberry jam. (From "The Vegan Sourcebook")
- Ready In:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup barley flour or 1/2 cup additional whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (coloured part only)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, poppy seeds, baking powder & soda. Stir well.
- Place the flax seeds in dry blender and grind into a powder. Add 1/2 cup of the water and blend till it's a gummy consistency, about a minute.
- Add remaining wet ingredients to the blender,except zest, and blend till frothy, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir the zest into the blended mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until everything is evenly moistened- Do Not Over mix! The batter will be fairly stiff.
- Immediately spoon the batter into 12-15 muffin cups with papers in them. Bake until the "toothpick tester" is clean and the muffins are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool completely on a rack before storing. Keep fresh up to 4 days, or they also freeze well.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I found these to have a great, light, texture, for being whole-wheat (I use W/W PASTRY flour) but I think more lemon is called for. Instead of apple juice concentrate I will try lemonade concentrate next time. (we LOVE lemon!) If you are looking for a sweet muffin, this isn't it (which is fine for us!) These have just a hint of sweetness.Reply
This is a very good muffin recipe that is very flavorfull, but it was not fluffy as I had hoped. perhaps I over mixed the batter but I had some flour "craters" in some of the finshed muffins so I dont think that was the case. I did not have barley flour so I just used more whole wheat flour as you suggested. Over all a very good muffin recipe I plan on making again!Reply
see 1 more