Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
In Turkey, we serve this dish both hot and cold. It's up to you. Do not add rice in the beginning or it will become mushy. You can exclude lemon juice, but remember that lemon juice increases the cooking time. So if you do not want to use lemon juice, then you'd better to reduce cooking time.
- 1⁄2 kg leek
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 ml boiling water
- Cut off the tough green leaves of leeks, wash thoroughly and cut crosswise into 4 cm slices. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet add onions and carrots. Saute until onions begin to color.
- Add leeks to the mixture and continue to saute until leeks are tender (4-5 minutes).
- Add water, sugar, salt, lemon juice. Stir, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add rice and stir.
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes more.
Simple yet tasty. I did add some freshly ground pepper. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag. :)