Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my favorite dishes. I learned to prepare it during a Thai cooking class given by the chef/owner at the Thai Erwan restaraunt in VA.
- 8 ounces ground chicken or 8 ounces ground pork or 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon roasted rice powder (may buy it already powdered or make your own by roasting Thai long grain sticky rice till brown and)
- shredded lettuce
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped (optional)
- Cook the ground meat until done and drain.
- Mix the meat with the lime juice, fish sauce, red onions, chili peppers (optional), roasted rice powder and mix well.
- Serve on bed of lettuce and top with sliced green onions and mint leaves.
- May add additional red peppers if you desire it hotter.
I have had this many times in Thai resurants. Now I can make at home! Have had another version of it also, called Beef Chang Mai. Made with beef and roasted rice as well. Thank You. Chef Lawrence
Exactly what I remember from the Thai restaurants that serve larb (our local doesn't, so it was particularly nice to find this recipe, although had to mail order the rice powder)! Made it with ground pork and wild spearmint and served it on a bed of mixed greens from our garden. Especially nice with an extra squirt of fresh lime juice, so have a dish of lime quarters waiting on the table.
Delicious and oh so easy. I have loved this dish for years and its good all year round even winter.