Moosewood Callaloo Greens Stew
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cups water or 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 2 cups pumpkin (about 1 large potato) or 2 cups other winter squash
- 2 cups chopped greens (ideally, callaloo or sub stemmed kale, turnip greens, or 3 cups chopped stemmed spinach)
- 1 cup okra, sliced (either fresh or frozen, easy to slice if slightly frozen) or 1 cup use zucchini
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- In soup pot, saute onions for a minute or two.
- Add garlic and continue sauteeing for another 2 or 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add seasonings and saute another minute, stirring to prevent spices from sticking and scorching.
- Stir in water or stock and add sweet potatoes or squash.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- If you are using callaloo, turnip greens or kale (but not spinach), stir it in at this time.
- Add okra and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, lime juice, salt and spinach, if you are using it.
- Cook for another 3 or 4 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Add more salt or lime juice to taste.
- Serve while hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!