Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This makes the most ultimate weekend brunch, I have even made it for dinner my family, I prepare it early in morning and bake in the evening, I just use the whole loaf of French bread for this --- plan ahead this needs to stay in the fridge overnight... you will love this!
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan combine the corn syrup, butter and brown sugar; simmer stirring until syrupy.
- Pour the mixture over the bottom of a buttered baking pan.
- Lay 6 slices of bread over the brown sugar mixture.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with half and half cream or milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread slices in the pan.
- Then layer the remaining 6 slices on top.
- Pour the remaining egg/milk mixture over the top (make sure that all the bread is covered with the mixture).
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day remove from the fridge.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
Wonderful and so easy! I have made this at least half a dozen times and everyone loves it. Very easy to prepare the night before. Not too wet or soggy, just perfect. Since it's two layers, at prep I usually cut the bread slices in half for easy serving. Have used French bread and a sturdier commercial bread like Orowheat potato bread, both with good results. Make sure all bread is covered with egg mixture, and be sure to butter the sides of the pan, it will stick. And remember you flip it before serving. Makes a nice presentation. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This makes a wonderful celebration breakfast! I use 14 slices of a large french loaf (leaves only about 2-3" at each end unused). I added another egg and about 1/2 cup of cream and still didn't cover the bread but it all seemed wet with some liquid sloshing around the lower slices. I tried to turn the slices to get them all equally wet but the bottom slices had already stuck to the caramel so I just left them. I froze this a week before I used it and then thawed it and baked according to directions. Wonderful!
Great way to use up old bread!