Overnight Caramel French Toast II
photo by Smooth-E
- Ready In:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In small saucepan over med heat, bring brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Top with 6 slices of bread.
- Combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle half over the bread.
- Place remaining bread on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from frig 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 30-35 minutes.
- *Notethat cooking time does not reflect chill time.
I so cheated with this recipe! I used prepared caramel. Poured enough to cover the bottom of the pan, then proceeded with the recipe using 6 slices of bread total and a quarter of the remaining ingredients. Didn`t chill just made sure the egg mixture was evenlt throughout the bread. It was fabulous! As removing from oven it was nicely puffed but as slicing it came down. Thanks for posting this yummy recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the midwest. Work as a semi-retired nurse by profession. Married with 3 adult children, a wonderful son in law and daughter in law. I have 4 beautiful grandsons. One of my many blessings in life.<br />For fun, my passion is photography. It has become an important part of my life and I enjoy learning anything I can about it. I have a facebook photography page Margo McIntyre Photo Creations. I hope you check it out and enjoy viewing my photos. <img title=Smile src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif border=0 alt=Smile /></p>