Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These are a huge favorite with my family, there a wonderful change from regular beef meatballs, plan ahead the mixture needs to chill for 24 hours before shaping into balls :)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup fresh minced parsley (can use a little more)
- 1 pinch dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together, all ingredients including the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Shape into 16 meatballs, and place on a baking sheet.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about for 20-25 minutes or until meat is cooked.
These were very good and liked by those who ate. I let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours. They held together while the cheese and lamb fat melted. They were a bit salty for my taste so I wouldn't add the salt. The cheese and olives lend enough on their own. I served with corkscrew pasta in a olive oil, butter, garlic and cilantro sauce. A wine from Southern Italy such as Aglianico del Ventura goes well!
Simply divine! I also used Kalamata olives instead of green olives and I tossed the finished meatballs with sauteed onions, peppers and tomatoes and served it over couscous. If there had been any leftovers, I'd bet they would be great stuffed in a pita. Quick, rich and elegant! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!
This is one of those recipes you wish you could give more stars! Nothing changed or added (but of course we used the garlic), just a simple, easy to follow recipe, with things we always have in the pantry or freezer-great thank you!