Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my children's favorite meals. It has protein, vegetable and starch so I'm happy too. Easy to prepare and can be frozen for make-ahead cooking.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (use leftovers or instant)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef and onions, drain off excess fat.
- Add in remaining ingredients except potatoes and cheese.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of meat mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and cook for another 15 minutes.
- To make and freeze: Freeze with cheese attached in separate bag.
- When thawed, bake as instructed above.
Kid's Fav is right! It's great and a classic, never met a kid yet who didn't like it. When my kids were kids we made this and called it Hamburger Surprise 'cause the veggie was whatever was handy. Now they are having this for supper with their kids; so good things last forever. Thanks for the memories!
Not just for kids! Adults will enjoy as well. However, next time I think I will double the batch of mashed potatoes. Yum!!
I can see why it's the kids' favorite recipe. Delicious fresh out of the oven, and as leftovers. Served with cornbread muffins...yum!