Chicken and Green Noodle Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Southern Living; kid favorite
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3 -4 chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 ounce) package green noodles
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1/2 cup margarine, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup crushed cheese nips
- Cook chicken in salted water for 25-30 minutes or until tender; Remove chicken and reserve stock.
- Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Cook noodles in stock until tender; drain and set aside.
- Saute green pepper, onion, and celery in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Add cheese; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Stir in soup and mushrooms; cook until bubbly.
- Add chicken and noodles; mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup butter and cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the chicken mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This made a nice casserole. I used spinach noodles, that were quite wide and 12 oz. instead of the 10 oz. package. Next time I will increase the soup to 2 cans or go with a thinner noodle. It smells fabulous while cooking. Made a lovely candlelight meal surprising my husband after his afternoon golf! Thanks for posting.Reply
Made this one for my family the other night. It was a very good casserole that made a tasty week-night meal. The green color of the noodles and the orange color of the Cheez Nips looked kind of funky and the kids liked that. Has all the usual components of a good casserole--cheese, cream, noodles, and chicken. Very yummy.Reply
I had a recipe much like this one years ago but somehow lost it. I was thrilled that it was posted on this site. I made it for dinner the other night and it is just as good as I remember. The sauce was well seasoned in addition to being rich and cheesy. The color of the spinach noodles gave my kids a good giggle. A hearty, comfort food casserole. Thanks for posting.Reply