This recipe is from my web-site ( www.portuguese-recipes.com ).It has many variations this is my rendition of it.It's a great meatless soup but you can always add sausage or even stew beef.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 -8 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups kale, chopped if fresh (you can use frozen 2 or 3 pkgs. or if canned use 2 to 3 cans)
- you can substitute spinach, swiss chard, mustard greens, cabbage, turnip greens, collard greens (these work well)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes or 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- In a large pot, heat olive oil then add garlic and onion.
- Sauté these ingredients until soft.
- Add kale and sauté until wilted.
- Add 3 cups of the broth, 2 cups of beans, tomatoes, herbs,salt and pepper.
- Simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a blender, or what have you, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth.
- I bet your asking why, its to thicken the soup.
- Mix into soup.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve it up in bowls and dress with parsley.
- For Vegetarians use the vegetable broth.
- Thanks for all the great reviews. All the substitutions and ideas are wonderful. I will try most of them myself. Again thanks. Gil2 ( www.Portuguese-recipes.com).