Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Yankee magazine. Yankee used to feature recipes that had a unique history and I always found such great treasures in that monthly article. According to the article, this recipe was passed on by a neighbor to a lady who was celebrating at a restaurant and had brought the cake along. The chef at the resturant tasted it and begged for the recipe! I haven't tried this yet, but am posting this now in response to a request for special carrot cake recipes.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup corn oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Combine sugar,flour,cinnamon,salt,and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, and carrots and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping down sides to make sure everything get moistened together.
- Pour into greased, lightly floured 9x13" metal cake pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare icing: beat together all ingredinets for 2 minutes using an electric mixer, then spread generously over cooled cake.
I love carrot cake, and I thought this version was excellent. As everyone knows, the best reason to eat carrot cake is for the icing. This icing was killer. Thanks Heather!
This is an excellent carrot cake recipe - my mum now only uses this one! Thanks.