Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from Yankee magazine. Yankee used to feature recipes that had a unique history and I always found such great treasures in that monthly article. According to the article, this recipe was passed on by a neighbor to a lady who was celebrating at a restaurant and had brought the cake along. The chef at the resturant tasted it and begged for the recipe! I haven't tried this yet, but am posting this now in response to a request for special carrot cake recipes.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup corn oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar,flour,cinnamon,salt,and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, and carrots and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping down sides to make sure everything get moistened together.
- Pour into greased, lightly floured 9x13" metal cake pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare icing: beat together all ingredinets for 2 minutes using an electric mixer, then spread generously over cooled cake.