Pennsylvania Dutch Shoo-Fly Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
1 loaf cake
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup baking molasses (I use Brer Rabbit)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (level)
- 2 cups hot water
- Mix together (like a crumbly pie crust) flour, shortening, sugars in a large bowl, reserving 1/2 cup of the crumbs for top of cake.
- In another bowl, mix: molasses, baking soda and hot water.
- Stir until mixed and some of the foam disappears.
- Add to the crumb mixture and stir until blended.
- Put in a 9 X 13 inch loaf pan that has been greased and floured.
- Put the 1/2 cup crumb mixture on top and bake for 1 hour at 350 deg.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, but don't have a lot of time to do it, since I work full time. I like to try a new recipe every Saturday, if time allows. <br> <br>I have one grown son and three grandaughters ages 16,10 and 3. The ten year old has won many medals in gymnastics meets over the past few years.