Pennsylvania Dutch Coffee Crumb Cake
This delicious recipe comes from the Bechtel Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast Inn, in East Berlin, PA
- Ready In:
- 4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, prebeaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend first five ingredients together, and set aside one cup of this mixture as a topping base for use later.
- In separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk and baking soda together.
- Then blend the remaining portion of the original crumb mixture, stirring thoroughly.
- There will be some small lumps in the batter.
- Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the cup of original crumb topping mixture, set aside earlier.
- Pour coffee cake batter mixture into 3 greased and floured 8" cake pans.
- Sprinkle topping equally on top of batter in all 3 pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Makes 3-8" coffee cakes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is one of our favorite coffee cakes and have had this or similar recipes for years. Good to see this in print and you will not be disappointed. You can use butter flavored shortening or substitute part butter which give it a nice flavor. Thanks for reminding me of such an easy and wonderful cake.Reply
see 4 more