This is a festive salad with crunch and vibrant flavor. (hee-cah-mah) a member of the morning glory family that comes from Mexico and South America. A cousin of the sweet potato
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar or 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
- 1 jicama, cut in matchsticks about 3 cups (medium-size jicamas with smooth, unblemished skin)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups bell peppers (red, green, yellow, and orange)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- Whisk dressing in a large bowl.
- Add the salad ingredients mixing to combine all. season to taste.
- Chill for a couple hours to over night for flavors to meld.
I'm not leaving stars because I don't think it would be fair. I couldn't find jicama (although I know I've seen it in my grocery store before). I had my heart set on the recipe so I made it anyway. Also, I used the pre-shredded Dole cole slaw bag instead of shredding red cabbage. So, I'm not leaving stars because I think I changed too much, but I will say that I really enjoyed what I had. I had to add more salt once I served it, but I only used about a half a teaspoon (and roughly halved the recipe.) I cannot wait to try it with jicama!! 8/2010 update: Found jicama! It was awesome!!!
This is absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for a great recipe Rita! The supermarket didn't have any jicama today so I substituted two grated gala apples. I'm sure the jicama would have added a nicer crunch but the apples tasted great and soaked up the extra dressing that would have coated the jicama. The slaw has a great balance of sweet and spicy and the cilantro stands out wonderfully! I can't wait to make this again!!
SO good & popular too! I served it along side my Chipotle Pulled Chicken BBQ Sandwiches. Many people placed this on top of the sandwich. It was so flavorful & so good too! I introduced about 10 people to jicama! Thank you!