Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Found this in a magazine a couple of years ago and it is something I make often,I leave out and add things depending on what I have on hand.Have fun and hope you enjoy!
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2⁄3 cup long grain rice (white or brown)
- 1 (3 ounce) fully cooked andouille sausages or 1 (3 ounce) chorizo sausage, diced
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks (about 2 LBS.)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned medium shrimp (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh okra, sliced 1/2 inch thick (optional)
- In a saucepan,bring broth,tomatoes,garlic,herbs and cayenne to a boil.
- In a 5-or6-qt slow-cooker, mix onion,celery,rice and sausage.
- Add broth.
- Tuck in drumsticks,meaty side down,to cover.
- Scatter bell peppers on top.
- Cover;cook on low-heat setting 7-8 hrs,or on high for2 1/2-3 hrs,until rice has softened and chicken is tender.
- Uncover then turn to high.
- Add shrimp and okra;cover.
- Simmer 5 minutes,until shrimp are cooked and okra is crisp tender.
- Remove drumsticks;remove bones,if desired.
- Ladle in soup bowls and add chicken to each bowl.
- MY NOTES:You may add or subtract to your liking.
- I have used chicken thighs and chicken breasts and I have also used smoked sausage.
- Use more or less seasonings or add different ones.
- I also make this in my dutch oven on the stove top.
- If you do it this way cook everything but the shrimp and okra for about an hour&10 min,then add shrimp and okra and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Have fun!
Crawfish Pie - this is excellent!! I didn't change a thing except to use skinless chicken thighs, and added a green bell pepper along with the red one. Thick & delicious with great jambalaya flavors! I made this in my 6-quart crockpot, slow simmered all day. My neighbors were forming a line at my back door!! Thanks, CP! - 5 stars!!!
Thank you for sharing, made it with my own additions and subtractions. I am not much for spicy spicy. So we used regular ham. Hot enough for us. We have now made it 3 times. And none is ever left!! Thanks again.
Very nice, I would only do half cup of rice in future or more chicken stock as mine came out _very_ thick.