Recipe by Michelle Berteig
This is my own recipe. Probably not very authentic, but it's tasty, my family loves it and there's never any left! Also great for potlucks, it can be prepared in a crockpot. Feel free to make your own additions. Enjoy!
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) boxes red beans and rice mix, prepared per package directions (Rice-A-Roni)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen mixed peppers, thawed (red, green and yellow pepper strips)
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (you can use leftover chicken, or cook 2-3 breasts)
- 8 ounces frozen shrimp, thawed (optional, amount is an estimate, use as much as you like)
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Rice-A-Roni Red Beans and Rice according to package directions. While it is cooking, prepare the onions, celery and garlic and saute in a skillet in a small amount of oil until soft.
- Open the can of tomatoes and dump into a large stockpot or crockpot. Add the sauteed veggies, cooked chicken and pepper strips to the pot as well. Heat the contents to simmering (or set the crockpot to low if you will be gone all day or high for a few hours).
- Using the same skillet from before, saute the thinly sliced sausage and add that to the pot also.
- When the Rice-A-Roni is done, remove the lid from the pot and continue to cook and stir until most of the liquid is evaporated, then add to the pot as well. Mix everything up well.
- Add hot sauce to taste. If using shrimp, add them close to serving time, so they will heat through but not be overcooked. Heat through and serve.