Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my own recipe. Probably not very authentic, but it's tasty, my family loves it and there's never any left! Also great for potlucks, it can be prepared in a crockpot. Feel free to make your own additions. Enjoy!
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) boxes red beans and rice mix, prepared per package directions (Rice-A-Roni)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen mixed peppers, thawed (red, green and yellow pepper strips)
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (you can use leftover chicken, or cook 2-3 breasts)
- 8 ounces frozen shrimp, thawed (optional, amount is an estimate, use as much as you like)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Prepare Rice-A-Roni Red Beans and Rice according to package directions. While it is cooking, prepare the onions, celery and garlic and saute in a skillet in a small amount of oil until soft.
- Open the can of tomatoes and dump into a large stockpot or crockpot. Add the sauteed veggies, cooked chicken and pepper strips to the pot as well. Heat the contents to simmering (or set the crockpot to low if you will be gone all day or high for a few hours).
- Using the same skillet from before, saute the thinly sliced sausage and add that to the pot also.
- When the Rice-A-Roni is done, remove the lid from the pot and continue to cook and stir until most of the liquid is evaporated, then add to the pot as well. Mix everything up well.
- Add hot sauce to taste. If using shrimp, add them close to serving time, so they will heat through but not be overcooked. Heat through and serve.
Quite good, and super easy. I didn't have Rice-A-Roni, so I simply used leftover rice that already had lots of veggies in it. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT9
Michelle, this was an awesome recipe! Wonderful flavor and it smelled so good while it was cooking. I cooked this on top of the stove. I browned the sausage with the onion, celery and garlic. When that was done, I added all ingredients in my dutch oven and simmered for about 30 minutes. Perfectly done! Made for the Dining Daredevils ZWT 5
Very tasty one pot meal. I didn't have the pre-packaged rice and beans, so I made my own by starting with the Creole style of the Holy Trinity - celery, onions, and green pepper and added some rice and canned red kidney beans. For flavor I hit it with Emeril's Bayou Blast - BAM! Anyway, used andouille sausage and a can of diced tomatoes with Burgundy wine, leftover chicken and frozen shrimp. This makes a fun, satisfying meal. Made for ZWT5.