1/6 Photos of Jagacida (Jag) - Beans and Rice from Cape Verde
Although I'm posting this for the 2005 World Tour, this is for me a dish from childhood. My Cape Verdean mother made this often and served it with tuna fish cakes. I loved mine smothered in catsup. This makes a huge batch and we often served it reheated with more onions, linguica and fried eggs for breakfast the next day. Traditionally, it is made with kidney or lima beans but I remember Nana (my grandmother) making it with peas to accommodate my bean-hating aunt. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut up onions in a 2 quart pan and simmer until golden brown in oil.
- 2Add 6 cups of water to onions, paprika, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper totaste.
- 3Bring to a boil and add 3 cups of rice. Lower heat, add beans (), cover pan and simmer for 25 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- 4Turn off stove and let stand.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jagacida (Jag) - Beans and Rice from Cape Verde
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 109.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g