Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good zucchini dish that can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.
- 2 zucchini, 1/4-inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 396.89 g can tomatoes, diced
- 7.39 ml fresh basil, minced
- 3.69 ml fresh oregano, minced
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 177.44 ml chicken stuffing mix
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 78.07 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook zucchini until tender. Drain & set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in zucchini. Place in ungreased baking dish. Top with stuffing mix. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with grated mozzarella or jack cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
With a few amount adjustments this turned out ver well, I doubled the complete recipe as I was making this as a take-home meal for DS, did some spice adjusments and increased the garlic way up, I uses 2 long thin zucchini for this and that worked quite well, used Stove Top stuffing mix, I also added in 2 jalapeno peppers with the onion and garlic for heat, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
YUM!!! This gets my vote for best zucchini recipe. I almost goofed on the stuffing mix, but as a reread the recipe, I "got it" that I was to just measure out dry stuffing mix and sprinkle it on top of the veggies, kinda like a crumb topping only better. I did use 2 cups of peeled and diced fresh home-grown tomatoes instead of canned and I may have been a little generous with the cheeses as I eye-balled instead of measuring. I made this recipe with the idea that it would be a veggie side dish for two meals, thereby serving 4. It didn't work out that way, because DH and I both went back for seconds, so it only served 2 for us. I'll be making it weekly until a frost kills my tomatoes, basil, and zucchini.
I loved the flavour of this casserole- the zucchini and chicken stuffing went really well together. I also wasn't sure whether to make up the stuffing mix first or use it dry, so I mixed it with the water, let it set then spread it over the top. We'll make this often!