Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
Another traditional Italian cookie well known in R.I.
Top Review by Just J
Being originally from RI I fell in love with these biscuits as a little girl. I have since moved from RI and have been craving them for a while. I was so excited to find the recipe on here. I made them yesterday and everyone loved them. They were easy to make, though mine were not near as pretty as they were in the bakeries. I was also able to introduce my daughter to one of my childhood faves, we had a blast making them and eating them together. Thank you for a fantastic, and for me nostalgic recipe!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red table wine
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (NOT olive oil!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry.
- Knead until smooth.
- Cut off piece of dough about the size of a pencil and roll between palms.
- Knot the dough like making a pretzel.
- Brush top of biscuits with milk or egg yolk.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.