Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These Italian rice balls are a great favorite of children & adults alike. Italian cheese blends consists of Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Fontina, & Asiago. I have noticed that sometimes the last 2 cheeses are not included. I have adjusted the recipe according to 2Bleu's comments. Thanks for the input...
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup cooked arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2-1 cup breadcrumbs
- canola oil, for frying
- Mix the ground beef & rice together then stir in the cheese, parmesan, & spices.
- Mix the egg in with the meat mixture to bind it together. With slightly moist fingers, shape the mixture into small balls.
- Heat a small amount (about 1/4 inch) of oil in a frying pan. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs then fry until golden brown & crisp. Drain on paper towels & serve immediately.
My husband and boys rolled their eyes when I told them what was for dinner, but quickly changed their minds!! I will be making this again, thank you for posting it!!
Made as directed but substituted long grain rice for arborio rice as we were out, and saute'd them butter in lieu of frying in oil. This added great flavor. This was a very different type of meatball recipe for us with the addition of the rice, which we felt left them a bit bland and acted more as a filler ingredient. We could not taste the cheeses either. We would suggest using half the amount of rice, and more seasonings. Overall, we liked this recipe, but feel it needs more flavor. We also enjoyed the breadcrumb coating on the outside which was quite unique also.