Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- Combine butter and oil in large frypan and heat.
- Add onions and saute' for one minute.
- Add carrots, celery, mushrooms and parsley; cook, stirring frequently for 5 min.
- Crumble in ground beef and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle flour over the ground beef and stir until well blended.
- Stir in puree.
- Add wine gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth and season with spices as desired.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until thickened.
- Serve with pasta.
- Each serving is about 1 cup of sauce.
This is wonderful. I've had friends request the recipe just from smelling it simmering on the stove. The family loves it served over cheese tortellini.
A nice change from tomato based sauces! My 17 year old son gave it a thumbs up, which means a lot around here ! Thanks.
I turned this into Veggie Italian Meat Sauce by substituting ground soy for the hamburger. I also changed the wine to 1/2 cup and the broth to 4 cups. It takes a while for this to cook down, but it's worth it.