Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great recipe to use up leftover beef, my family *loves* these sandwiches, the ingredients here are only a guideline, you can adjust amounts to taste --- prep time does not include making the pasta sauce --- don't forget to sprinkle the buns with the garlic powder it really adds to the sandwich! :)
- 2 cups prepared pasta sauce (use your favorite or see Kittencal's Italian Tomato Pasta Sauce and Parmesan Meatballs)
- 1 lb cooked beef (cut into strips)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (can use more, or use provolone)
- 4 hoagie rolls (sliced in half)
- softened butter
- garlic powder (or omit the salt and use garlic salt)
- In a saucepan heat pasta sauce cook stirring occasionally until heated.
- Add in beef and continue cooking over medium-low until heated through (about 5 minutes) remove from heat.
- Spread softened butter on both sides of each bun then sprinkle with salt then a bit of garlic powder.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet cut-side up.
- Turn the oven to broiler heat.
- Broil buns 4-6 inches from heat until toasted (watch closely they brown fast!).
- Remove buns from oven leaving the broiler heat on.
- Divide the sauce/beef mixture between the buns, then sprinkle with sliced mushrooms.
- Top with 2 slices (or more) of mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven and broil 4-6 inches from heat source until the cheese has melted.
I have yet to find a Kitty recipe that was not less than perfect, this is another winner, I made this with leftover thinly sliced prime rib and we loved it, thanks Kitty
Really good, fast, and easy! A great way to disguise leftover pot roast. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Great Sandwich! Tripled the recipe and fed it to DH's deer hunting friends for lunch yesterday and they loved it! Sent the recipe home with a couple of the guys! Definitely a winner and really simple to fix! Thanks for posting this recipe!