Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great recipe to use up leftover beef, my family *loves* these sandwiches, the ingredients here are only a guideline, you can adjust amounts to taste --- prep time does not include making the pasta sauce --- don't forget to sprinkle the buns with the garlic powder it really adds to the sandwich! :)
- 2 cups prepared pasta sauce (use your favorite or see Kittencal's Italian Tomato Pasta Sauce and Parmesan Meatballs)
- 1 lb cooked beef (cut into strips)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (can use more, or use provolone)
- 4 hoagie rolls (sliced in half)
- softened butter
- garlic powder (or omit the salt and use garlic salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan heat pasta sauce cook stirring occasionally until heated.
- Add in beef and continue cooking over medium-low until heated through (about 5 minutes) remove from heat.
- Spread softened butter on both sides of each bun then sprinkle with salt then a bit of garlic powder.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet cut-side up.
- Turn the oven to broiler heat.
- Broil buns 4-6 inches from heat until toasted (watch closely they brown fast!).
- Remove buns from oven leaving the broiler heat on.
- Divide the sauce/beef mixture between the buns, then sprinkle with sliced mushrooms.
- Top with 2 slices (or more) of mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven and broil 4-6 inches from heat source until the cheese has melted.