Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Norene Gilletz cookbook MealLeaniYumm. I always try to post recipes that are for everyone, and not just for a select group of people. This is a really hearty soup, and it is so amazing.
- 2 cups small white beans (navy beans, etc)
- 6 cups cold water, for soaking the beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed soup pot and saute onion and celery for five minutes until golden.
- Add carrots and garlic and saute for another five minutes. Add water, beans, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Cook 1/2 hour longer, until beans are tender.
- Add cilantro.
- If soup is too thick thin with a little bit of water.
- Time given does not include overnight soaking.
Delicious! I halved the recipe but I shouldn't have. We definitely could have eaten more. Didn't have any cilantro, but it was still great! Thanks very much!
Nice soup! I did use broth instead of water, and added ground coriander, cayenne pepper and lemon juice to perk it up. I would definitely double or triple the beans and potatoes in this recipe if you want it to be a little heartier. Served 8 with bread as an entree.
Review My Recipe game ~ A nice, hearty soup. I used baby lima and great northern beans in this. DH ate two bowls! Served with biscuits. I forgot to add the coriander at the end, but it was still good! Thanks Studentchef!