1/6 Photos of Irish Beef Stew
2 hrs 20 mins
This is "Hands Down" the best I've ever made! The thyme is what sets it appart. The garlic will end up very mild. Use less if you like. (I have now edited the recipe to include corn starch to thicken the broth. This of course is optional)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 garlic, bud peeled and cut the cloves into large chunks
- 8 cups beef stock or 8 cups canned beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed . 5 inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and cubed, . 5 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add beef and sauté 1 minute uncovered.
- 3Add beef stock, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- 4Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7Meanwhile, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat.
- 8Add potatoes, onion and carrots.
- 9Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minute.
- 10Add vegetables to beef stew.
- 11(Optional) mix corn starch in 1 or 2 tablespoons cold water. Add to stew and stir thoroughly to thicken broth.
- 12Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender.
- 13Discard bay leaves, let cool then tilt pan and spoon off fat.
- 14Can be made in morning or day before.
- 15Heat, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 847.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g