Prep 10 mins
Cook 19 mins
From my old tattered and torn GE microwave cookbook, circa 1977. Tried and true well loved recipe at our house!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- Wash and pierce potatoes with fork.
- Place on paper towel and micro on high 10/12 minutes.
- Turn over and rearrange after 4 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from micro and cool slightly.
- Peel potatoes and slice into 1/8 inch slices for about 4 cups.
- Cut bacon in small pieces and place in 2 qt casserole.
- Cover with paper towel and micro on high 6 minutes stirring after 3 minutes, until crisp.
- Set bacon aside on paper towels to drain.
- Stir flour, sugar and seasonings into bacon fat in casserole dish until smooth.
- Micro on high 1-2 minutes until bubbly stirring after 1 minute.
- Add water and vinegar to flour mixture.
- Micro on high 4 minutes until mixture boils and thickens stirring after 1 minute.
- Remove from oven and stir until smooth.
- Add potatoes and bacon, stirring gently so potatoes hold their shape.
- Cover casserole and let stand until ready to serve.
I can't believe this recipe is on here. I received this from my husband's grandmother. She got it from a lady at her hair salon that said it was amazing, and she was right. Nice to make this during the summer cause you don't have to heat up the whole house with the oven. Thanks for posting!
I made this for dinner last week, made a double recipe, and it was gone in two meals (only 3 people ate it!) this is reall y good and easy. I did use italian bread crumbs, and butter milk ranch dressing from the bottle. Will definately make this again.
I'm so glad you posted this! I lost my old microwave cookbook in a move, and this was one of my favorite recipes from it. Thanks!