Hot German Potato Salad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut into halves
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onions or 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- Heat 1 inch salted water (1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 cup water) to boiling.
- Add potatoes and return to boiling point.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Cook bacon in medium skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings until tender.
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in water and vinegar.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Crumble bacon into hot mixture.
- Slice in the warm potatoes.
- Cook, stirring gently, to coat potatoes, until hot and bubbly.
Join The Conversation
Great recipe ... I had never made this but one of my friends use to always make it when she had people over and I loved it so I thought I'd try making it. Looked at a lot of recipes and some had a huge amount of sugar which I did not remember from her's so I decided on this recipe and the taste was perfect!
Very Good recipe been making this German potato salad for over 30 years and much more authentic not too much sugar and the celery seed gives it just the right taste, like all recipes I use this as a guide adding as much bacon vinegar celery seed, sugar etc as I like and of course I always use apple cider vinegar
I'm a believer! The recipe I use is extremely similar to this. This is one I don't deviate from the ingredients. However, I never make the normal amount, even as a sidedish with lunch/supper. My family and friends demand this for get-together events. For these, I use 5 lbs, sometimes up to 15 lbs of potatoes. Any leftovers? Maybe, but then they're fought over for take-home!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes and mainly look for ones that are new and different, such as a twist on an old favorite or something no one's ever thought of! I also enjoy writing in my spare time. I live in Northeast Ohio where the weather isn't the greatest, humid in the summer and cold winters- but it has been nice growing up by the lake! I own two wonderful cats who can be quite a handful at times, but my fiancee and I couldn't live without them!